Sunday, July 01, 2012

Let Year #2 being.......NOW!!!

July 1st = 2nd year!!!!  :)  I am beyond words to describe how excited I am.  Tomorrow I start my first resuscitation shift in the adult ED.  As second years, we are responsible for the sickest of the sick that come through the door.  So any cardiac arrest....and stroke...and potential intubation or central  line...or pretty much any patient that is about to die...we are to jump on that patient, use the magic of medicine to stabilize them and get them nicely packaged up to the ICU as quick as possible.  When we are not in our department, we are scheduled to work in the ICU's.  So this year I will complete a medical ICU, surgical ICU and pediatric ICU month as well as toxicology rotation (which are also really sick patients).

This past year flew by.  It seems like yesterday it was July 1st and I was starting orientation month with my fellow co-interns and we were discussing what would happen on our first shifts as residents.  I do remember August.  And how hard that month was.  Not because of the medicine.  But because of the system.  I needed to learn the computer and the nurses and charting and the "way" things were done in the ED at RWJ.  Of course, after the first month things became much easier and then it was only a manner of learning more medicine :).  The difference starting tomorrow is that I already know the computer system, the nurses, charting and the RWJ way.  At least in the beginning, its going to be a sprint to pack my head with every piece of critical care knowledge I can find which will make July a pretty tough month mentally.  But it's all down hill from there!  So flippin excited just thinking about it that I can't contain my self right now!!!  LOL.  I feel like a little kid on x-mas eve.  I need to stop blogging about this and go to bed before I stay up all night.

So before I say good night, I will leave you with a nice pic of me during my Pediatric ED rotation, which I just finished on Friday.
Hey, this is peds....acting like a kid is encouraged!!!  Everyone have a great night!  :)

No comments: