Tuesday, May 20, 2008

AWESOME!!!

Wow....what a fun, fun, fun last couple of days. Lets start with Saturday. When I left you last I believe I was talking about how I was planning on going to the beach on Saturday to soak up some much needed sun. Well, it was cloudy and nasty all day. So, Layne, Alison and myself decided to go for sushi at Carib Sushi in Grand Anse. I ordered a carafe of Saki, edamame, the spicy tuna roll and the Alex roll. Now, please remember I am in Grenada, so this is no where near the variety and great eclectic tastes of the sushi back home. But, it was good. And very, very enjoyable. It was so nice to just hang out and enjoy a good meal. Of course, now I want sushi ALL THE TIME!!! I'll just have to wait for the really good stuff in July.


Monday morning I took my clinical skills written midterm. It was okay....I got an 86, so I still have an A in the class which is fine by me. Now on to part II where we learn examination of the lungs, abdomen, and central nervous system.
I just checked my micro score a few minutes ago and.......I got an A in the class. Which is great except I feel I cheated a little by just memorizing and not really learning the material, but that is okay...it will come back to bite me in the fluffy butt come Step 1 time :)
So, the absolute highlight of the past few days...last night a bunch of us traveled to Levera Beach to see leatherback turtles lay eggs!!! It was so amazing!! I can hardly describe in words but I will try. So, we set off around 7pm and after a quick stop at the store to pick up some beer (courtesy of the drunk boys in the back) we were on our way. The ride was almost an hour through the upper hills of Grenada. Once there, we had some dinner (I ordered the bbq chicken) and when turtles were spotted on the beach we headed over. It was so awesome. The turtles were HUGE!!! More than 5 feet long. I tried to take photos but because you can't use flash photography, only 1 came out okay. But I did get some great video of one turtle covering her eggs.
We were there for about an hour. We watched the female dig her hole, lay her eggs, and then cammoflage the whole area....can't have those predators finding the eggs. The guides and researchers that work/volunteer at this turtle laying preserve were all incredibly nice and helpful in answering questions and allowing us to get up close to the turtles. I was able to touch the turtle too!!! It was very rubbery, but its flipper was soft. I also purchased a royal blue t-shirt with the ocean spirits logo on it. Every little bit helps the turtles!! For more info about the turtles click here. So, overall I would say this was an awesome adventure in Grenada and I'm so happy I did it.

So, today its back to work. Female genital tract Pathology.....Yippy!!! Everyone have a great day!!

No comments: